Thursday 27 September 2012

The Cooling of the Embers - Flakie layering inspired by a song.

So like a lot of you, I've been following other bloggers doing the 30 day challenge, but I haven't been an active participant.  But then the other night I went to a concert and had an idea for an "inspired by a song" manicure.  I will also be doing a manicure inspired by my favourite movie, but I'm waiting til my nails are longer... So here we go!  Cookies if any of you have already recognised the title of the song......

So one of my favourite singers is Missy Higgins, a gorgeous Aussie lady with a voice like warm honey and milk(Anyone?  Just me?  Okay...).  She was in Toronto the other night with Katie Herzig and Butterfly Boucher.  Missy's latest album, The Ol' Razzle Dazzle, came out not long ago, and one of the songs, The Cooling Of The Embers, really struck me.  It's about dealing with dementia in a loved one, so not the cheeriest music in the world, but I love the beautiful imagery of a fire burning itself out, the embers cooling slowly.

I started with one coat of one of my favourite reds, OPI Big Apple Red, and then added one thin coat each of Cult Nails Seduction, Nubar 2010, and Finger Paints Twisted.  I do own the mythical Cult Nails Clairvoyant, but I decided to leave it out of this mani.  The three together really added to the "fire burning out" look.  The main colour shift is orange to yellow to red, with flashes of green and blue, like white hot embers.  I'm excited to see it in sunlight in the morning.







You might ask yourself, are 6 photos too many?  Not when a manicure is as magical as this!

And you're only half here 
like someone left a frail body and took the rest 
But I remember when you were strong 
Never wanted help from no-one
What you've become is not who I remember
Is this the cooling of the embers? 

9 comments:

  1. This looks amazing! What a great combination =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Flakies over red... I never would have thought. It's brilliantly gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful, it really does look like the embers of a fire. Just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your nails are glowing for sure - it's a lovely layering :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never thought of layering flakies over flakies!! Looks awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love flakies + red. Gorgeous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. gorgeous mani and beautiful meaning :)

    ReplyDelete

We love comments as much as we like bacon! And we LOVE bacon! But if you want us to check you out please go to the contact us tab up top and feel free to send us a message. Please don't SPAM!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...